David Duchovny, star of the X-Files and a seemingly nice guy, has entered a clinic which specializes in sex addiction. I think the clinic was founded by Depeche Mode, who got to number one with their song "Just Cant Get Enough".
This means that he must have met the ten criteria for securing this classification, which are:
1. Recurrent failure (pattern) to resist impulses to engage in extreme acts of lewd sex.
2. Frequent engaging in those behaviors to a greater extent or over a longer period of time than intended.
3. Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to stop, reduce, or control those behaviors.
4. Inordinate amount of time spent in obtaining sex, being sexual, or recovering from sexual experience.
5. Preoccupation with the behavior or preparatory activities.
6. Frequent engaging in violent sexual behavior when expected to fulfill occupational, academic, domestic, or social obligations.
7. Continuation of the behavior despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent social, financial, psychological, or physical problem that is caused or exacerbated by the behavior.
8. Need to increase the intensity, frequency, number, or risk of behaviors to achieve the desired effect, or diminished effect with continued behaviors at the same level of intensity, frequency, number, or risk.
9. Giving up or limiting social, occupational, or recreational activities because of the behavior.
10. Distress, anxiety, restlessness, or violence if unable to engage in the behavior.
Its not true that some people check in to such clinics so as to become sex addicts, but I wish Mr Duchovny well.
By the way, in a text on sex addiction therapy I found this statement: "Unless a sexual addict hits bottom (much like a drug addict) they will rarely seek recovery on their own." - I think spanking is a symptom, don't you?