A court in Santa Fe, New Mexico has agreed to issue a restraining order to David Letterman. The allegation is that he has been sending subliminal messages to a woman in LA encouraging him to think of herself as his wife, his co-anchor and his lover. The allegation is that each time he uses certain words - one of them is Oprah - he is sending her signals to the woman in question and she has gone bankrupt trying to respond.
The woman involved here is Colleen Nestler. She requested that Letterman, who tapes his show in New York, stay at least 3 yards away and not "think of me, and release me from his mental harassment and hammering." She claims this has been going on since 1994.
This is strange, since I have been getting similar messages from Soledad O'Brien on CNN - suggesting all sorts of things too complicated to put into print. I get similar messages from Kate Winslet, Trish Magwood (from Food Network's Party Dish) and Nigella Lawson. Until now, I had put these messages down to a rich fantasy life, but I guess things really are happening - I mean if a judge is willing to believe this stuff....
Speaking of Letterman, here is his Top 10 list about how do you know if you're a gay cowboy (a response to the film Brokeback mountain):
10. "Your saddle is Versace"
9. "Instead of 'Home On The Range', you sing 'It's Raining Men'"
8. "You enjoy ridin', ropin', and redecoratin'"
7. "Sold your livestock to buy tickets to 'Mamma Mia'"
6. "After watching reruns of 'Gunsmoke', you have to take a cold shower"
5. "Native Americans refer to you as 'Dances With Men'"
4. "You've been lassoed more times than most steers"
3. "You're wearing chaps, yet your 'ranch' is in Chelsea"
2. "Instead of a saloon you prefer a salon"
1. "You love riding, but you don't have a horse"
Lots of hidden messages here, perhaps ?