Sunday, May 01, 2005

This is Good Year

I have just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini which is an outstanding first novel from this author. Set mainly in Afghanistan, it tells a powerful personal story of a journey to truth and self discovery - remarkable for its simplicity and power. It would make an excellent film. This is becoming a great year for books - the discovery of Henning Mankell (thanks to Glyn), A Small Island and now this - excellent.

I also justc watched Hotel Rwanda - its one of those days when tragedy becomes a focus. A powerful and effective film. One olf the things it portrays is the "uselessness" of the UN - I have had several recent conversations with Gen (retired) Dalliaire who is portrayed in the film as a basically useless guy and this matches my experience of dealing with him, or rather the consequences. It is a powerful film - in my "must watch" category.

No comments: